Sunday 29 June 2014

Giggs admits: 'I wasn't ready to be Manchester United manager' as he prepares to be Van Gaal's No 2

Ryan Giggs has admitted he was not ready for the Manchester United job when he took over as caretaker-manager at Old Trafford last season.
Giggs took over at United after David Moyes was sacked with four matches of the season left, winning two, drawing one and losing one.
There was talk of United's record appearance-maker getting the job full time but the club instead plumped for Holland boss Louis van Gaal as Moyes' replacement.
Close: Giggs admits that the United job would have come a little too soon for him in his coaching career
Close: Giggs admits that the United job would have come a little too soon for him in his coaching career
The Welshman is now completing his Pro Licence coaching badge as he prepares for life as Louis van Gaal's assistant, but knows he has much to learn if he is take the United job on a permanent basis in the future. 





Words of wisdom: Giggs passes on some of his years of experience as he completes his coaching badges
Words of wisdom: Giggs passes on some of his years of experience as he completes his coaching badges

Experience: Giggs took charge of United for last season's last few games after Moyes' departure
Experience: Giggs took charge of United for last season's last few games after Moyes' departure

'When I took the job there were a lot of things that I was quite happy with, but there and was the odd thing where I thought "I'm not quite ready for this". Well it wasn't that I wasn't ready for it, but I could do with a little bit more experience,' Giggs told thefa.com.
'I have gained that experience from Sir Alex (Ferguson) but last year I was still playing so I wasn't really focused on the coaching and the other side of things.
Learning from the best: Giggs spent years working under Sir Alex Ferguson as a player at Old Trafford
Learning from the best: Giggs spent years working under Sir Alex Ferguson as a player at Old Trafford


'This year I can put everything into it and learn from someone who has managed at the top in so many other countries. It has been a good thing that I have been with Sir Alex for so long but also I am now getting to see how other people work as well. I got a taste of David Moyes and now Louis van Gaal this year.'
Giggs has now hung up his boots after an illustrious career, but was still playing at the time of his elevation last season - an adjustment he struggled to deal with.
'Yeah, I mean there was just so much to do,' he said. 'Before training you are in at half seven and by the time half ten had come you were knackered.
'Because I was still a player I just wanted to make the players aware that I was the club manager and get that distance away from them initially to say: "I am not joining in training, I am looking to see what you are doing". You can't really do that if you are getting involved.
'Initially that was my feeling - not get involved with training and see how they were all performing. The majority of the lads were all fit so I had plenty to choose from so I wanted to get a good look. If you are involved and in the middle of it you don't quite get the same look.'

No comments:

Post a Comment