Sunday 26 April 2015

Gerrard & Lampard share PFA Merit Award

Ahead of summer moves to Major League Soccer, the former England captain and vice-captain were honoured at Sunday night's annual awards ceremony
Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard have been honoured with the Professional Footballers' Association Merit Award.

The pair, who are set to leave the Premier League for Major League Soccer at the end of the European season, share the award and leave the Premier League with over 1100 appearances between them.
"We played together for England for a long time and I'm a huge admirer of Frank and his game and the success he has had at Chelsea," Gerrard is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
"He is an unbelievable player, a world-class player and I couldn't ask for anyone better to share it with.
He added: "I'm really pleased. Every time you get an individual award and an award for the job you do, you're really happy. I'm a young boy from a council estate who has worked so hard to get to where I am today.
"It has been a privilege to represent Liverpool for so long and to share some of the highlights of my career. I'm going to miss Liverpool, the league and the country - it is going to be an emotional few weeks, but I go with my head held high and I'm not going to hang my boots up yet - I've got a couple of years left in me."
Lampard, who is Chelsea's all-time top scorer with 211 goals from a central midfield position, also paid tribute to his fellow winner as the duo become the first double-winners since Bobby Charlton and Cliff Jones were honoured with the inaugural award in 1974.
"I'm pleased - it is a great honour," Lampard said. "I have been fortunate enough to have a long time playing in the Premier League - along with Steven it is a great honour to be alongside a player who himself has done so much for the game. For the two of us to get it, it is a nice send-off and a nice ending for me.
"I have got a huge amount of respect for Steven - we had a few ding-dongs up and down the years, we seemed to play each other five or six times a season when the Champions League was involved.
"He deserved the accolades he gets for his career and being a statesmen of Liverpool - he will be remembered for what he has done in the game. I'm proud to stand alongside him, he is a good friend and we had fun playing together for England."
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment