Wednesday 20 May 2015

Ever wondered where the phrase 'Ajala the traveler' came from?

He was a Nigerian called Moshood Adisi Olabisi Ajala. He was a renowned globe-trotter, socialite and free lance journalist, who was described in many Nigerian songs as Africa's greatest traveler. He was born in Ghana, then moved to Nigeria to school and went to the US at age 18 where he started his travels in the 50s. He supposedly went to 87 countries in six years and mostly on his bicycle. Hear Ajala in his own words after the cut...


Excerpt from his book
From America I went to Canada (where I spent a couple of years) and later on to Britain. In 1957 I began my one-man Odyssey around the world. It is still going on as I write this in Sydney, Australia. In nearly all the eighty-seven countries I have visited during the course of my six-year jaunt around the world (ranging from North America to Eastern and Western Europe, through Africa and Asia and as far east as Korea, Indonesia and Australia), I have observed many different political regimes both in democratic and communist states. I have met with brutality and racial intolerance. I have felt the bitter evil of man's inhumanity to man, and have marbled at the goodness of the humane-hearted"




No comments:

Post a Comment