Tuesday 12 May 2015

Photo of Boko Haram survivor who just became a graduate

26-year-old Abubakar Umar (pictured center) is a survivor of Boko Haram attack. He was shot in both arms in November 2014 in Kano during one of the terrorists attacks.

He graduated with a degree in Petroleum Chemistry at the American University of Nigeria, Yola Adamawa state yesterday May 11th.
“I think I should have died on that day, I could have died on that day. I lost so much blood, there wasn’t any medication. I just saw these people coming out of the bush. They were screaming ‘Allahu Akbar’ (God is greatest) and shooting at my car.
At first I stopped because some of them had military trousers and boots but then I noticed their headbands and what they were saying, so I realised they were insurgents. They shot me in my right arm. I continued (driving). I didn’t know where I was going. I just kept on driving. I thought I would reach a checkpoint and report the case. I never met any checkpoint. I put mud and chicken dung on my head to look like a madman. I removed my shoes and put them in my pocket… (but) I didn’t see Boko Haram. But somehow I think the Lord kept me alive for a special reason and one of those reasons was to complete my degree. I’ve made it and I’ve graduated, so I’m very happy” he said as he picked up his degree.




No comments:

Post a Comment