Monday 20 July 2015

Arsenal foward Theo Walcott says he's playing the waiting game with contract extension on table for him

Theo Walcott says discussions over a new contract at Arsenal are under way, but he is in no rush over signing.

The 26-year-old attacker agreed to a new £90,000-a-week contract in 2013, of which he is heading in to the final 12 months, and is happy to allow negotiations to extend past the start of the new season.
"My agent has talked to the club, I enjoy playing for this club so I am just letting them crack on with things and I’ll continue playing football," he told reporters.
"If it happens it happens. We’ll just play the waiting game and see what happens but I’m sure it won’t be long.
"It’s not in my thought process at all. You don’t want to dwell on it, you want to play well and if it happens it happens.
"I won’t let that delay the way I’m going to be playing this season. I can’t let that affect me, I want to do well for this club.”
Walcott has struggled for fitness in the previous two seasons, featuring just 27 times in the Premier League since suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury against rivals Tottenham in early 2014.
However, after returing to fitness, the former Southampton man believes he must be viewed by his goals and wants to build on an impressive conclusion to last term.
"I didn't want the season to end. It was a frustrating season for me. When you have been out for such a long time, it is difficult to get into a winning team," Walcott added.
"It’s my first pre-season for two years now so I want to work hard and get fit. It’s a really exciting year for myself personally and I think this team can go very far.
"I’m always going to be judged on goals, I’ve been very happy with my goal record when given the opportunity. That is all I can do."
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment